Economics is too important to be left to economists alone. By choosing Economics Optional, you become an agent of change, shaping policies that can uplift societies and transform lives.
Why carefully choosing the Optional Subject is so important?
Simply because its score is added while calculating the merit list and it is the only subject that you get to choose in the UPSC civil services exam. Now, see the Main exam is of 1750 marks and the Optional alone is of 500 Marks having 1/3rd weightage. If prepared carefully and with a correct strategy, with the right optional you can even score around 340-360 i.e. more than 70%, increasing your chances of securing a position in the top 100.
Let the information sink in, take a moment!
Now, the question comes how to choose an Optional subject for the UPSC Civil services exam.
- Choose a subject in which you have an interest & you enjoy learning. Something that you look forward to knowing about.
- Select the one that overlaps with the syllabus of General Studies & Prelims
- So, how to start?
- First thing, take a printout or note down ALL the optional subjects available
- By looking at a few you can easily filter out around 5-6 subjects
- Now, read the syllabus of the remaining few and quickly skim through the NCERTs ( available on the internet)
- Analyse the PYQs, do this only after skimming through a few topics otherwise you wouldn’t understand and the analysis part would be difficult
We know its looks like a tedious task but trust us the reward is much bigger…Okay!
- By now you could easily filter out another lot of subjects based on maybe by a simple feeling ‘ Isme to kuch bhi nhi smjh aa rha hai’, its completely normal
- Next, look for updated resource material availability (come to a full war mode)
- With the remaining few subjects watch videos of toppers, seek guidance from mentors. Note down their approach and make a decision (Ah tough, but you are prepared, you know it)
- Be clear and put your whole heart into it
Make sure you follow these! Coming to what not to do 🙁
In a world full of Gyani Babas, it’s only natural to seek approval of your decision but don’t do that believe in your abilities, once decide don’t be influenced by any one’s suggestion. See, any good thing takes time, so don’t rush thinking that you are falling behind. Silence the feeling of ‘everybody else must be studying and I’m doing what? Making strategies!’ Planning and having clarity is much better than just jumping and feeling lost or regretting a decision while a good amount of time is passed.
See, UPSC never discriminates between the optional subjects so the question is then Why choose Economics Optional?
Firstly, it is a practical subject in the sense that if you know that a theory will have so & so graphs and certain applications you can yield maximum marks with minimum scope of errors. The problem with a total theoretical subject is the clash of opinion that happens because of subjectivity but with a subject like economics, you can never go wrong.
The second reason for going for Economics Optional is the relatability of the subject with daily life. With good conceptual clarity even if you don’t know the nitty-gritty of a topic you can easily use common sense and answer the questions. (Which is a bonus in disguise)
Thirdly, to understand the current affairs part that covers a major chunk of the syllabus in the General studies part understanding economics is important.
Fourthly, 60—70% of the syllabus overlaps with GS 3 Paper-04 hence choosing Economics Optional is a win-win!
Lastly, it is a scoring subject and has given toppers from Yash Jaluka (AIR-2, 2020) to Gaurav Agarwal (AIR-1, 2013) .
Any problem till here? We wish not!
Coming to how can we help – IAS Gaurav Agarwal
See, the most important thing while preparing any optional is saving time and outsourcing everything that is wasting your time. Be selfish of that and leave everything to us.
With our Economics Optional test series, you get features like:
- 17 Tests including 2 sets of full-length tests (Paper 01 and Paper 02)
- Hard copy material of Solved PYQ of last 5 years
- Weekly, Biannual, and Yearly Current Affairs PDF
- Intensive syllabus coverage based on the latest paper pattern
- Quality questions & model answers in reference to the level of the exam
- Flexibility of test series schedule in terms of submitting answer copy
- Robust feedback mechanism or detailed analysis of answer copies through evaluation by expert faculties
- One-time Re-evaluation of each test
- Regular Mentorship & Guidance sessions by Sanat sir and expert faculties regarding strategies & exam approach
- Unlimited doubt Resolution facilities
- One-to-One call facility with experts
These are our ongoing Economics Optional Test series
|Online||12th June 2023||Test Series cum batch||Rs.46,079|
|Online||15th July 2023||Test Series||Rs.16,000|
Note: Get a flat 25% discount on the Economics Optional Test series if you enrol before 10th July 2023
So, where to find us?
Visit our website: https://subscription.ecoholics.co.in/
Or call us on: +91-7880107880
Download the App: https://ecoholics.in/mobile-app/
Before we sign off we just wanted you to know there is never a wrong time to start and the world is full of possibilities. Also, Just a gentle reminder the preparation journey for UPSC Civil services exam is a reward in itself. Get up, keep trying and let’s work together towards your success!
All the best!